One way to keep data on the iPhone more secure is to implement the Auto-Lock feature. This setting requires a PIN to access the phone if it's left idle for 1-5 minutes. While this helps with security, it certainly makes for frequent PIN entry. One way to help alleviate entering the PIN is to use the VIP contact feature on your iPhone. When you designate a contact as a VIP, an email from that contact shows up on the Locked iPhone screen. (Normal emails do not show up here.) You can easily filter out all your email by choosing the VIP list to only see those messages.
So once you add contacts to your VIP list, you can control whether you get a banner or a sound whenever a VIP sends you an email message. The notifications for VIPs override any other notification setting for incoming mail.
Here’s how to create your VIP list:
- Open the Mail app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the “back” button in the top left corner of the display until you get to the main Mailboxes screen.
- Find your VIP mailbox and tap the little circled “i” button to see your VIP list.
- Tap “Add VIP” to add some names from your Contacts to the list.
- Now return to the Home screen, tap Settings, Notifications, Mail, then tap VIP.
- From there, you can choose what type of notification you’ll get whenever someone on your VIP list sends you an email.
Now, to see only the mail from those on your VIP list, you can return to your Mailboxes (the top level of your mail) and touch the VIP button. This is not a copy of your mail, but rather a filtered list showing you only those people on your VIP list that have sent you mail.
The VIP Mail Filter:
Android Folks: Your phone has a Priority Sender option that you can set to receive notification and unique sounds when those contacts send you something.
Now you will only get distracted whenever someone important sends you mail!